Meeting Minutes

September 4, 2013 Meeting Minutes

Preservation Station, Bonnie Anderson, presiding, 6:30 PM

Board Member Attendance:

Term ending August 2014

 

Term ending August 2015

 

Anderson, Bonnie

x

Bloom, Greg

Boyd, Joe

x

Carson, Ann

 

Fink, Zoey

 

Grassel, Kathy

x

Gonzalez, Moisés

x

McGivern, Elaine

 

Grant, Steve

x

Neutra, Greg & Joni

x

Spittler, Lee

x

Thornton, Karla

x

 

 

Trefethen, Salley

x

 

Minutes from the July meeting was approved. No August minutes were recorded because the annual meeting/block party took the place of a board meeting.

Guests:  Mark from Arno SE, Larry and Amy from High SE

Block party/annual meeting—Feedback re the block party was positive. Newcomers to the neighborhood Amy and Larry said they were able to meet many people. Joni commented that the non-amped music was better suited to conversation and meeting people. Everyone agreed. The block party was a money maker: Moisés donated $40 in tips and donations from the keg; the raffle earned the chickens $170; and fees from first-time and renewing members garnered $92. Expenses were in the $200 range. Paid members voted for candidates for board for a two-year term.

New board member—Board member Jesse Arneson and family have moved to Hawaii. In his place, the board voted to appoint Joe Boyd. Joe has been in the neighborhood 1.5 years, moving here from San Diego. He lived on the west side first, and moved to HH as soon as he could, finding it walkable, friendly, and presenting a strong sense of community. Joe has had experience in community organizing and grantwriting, so the board is most eager to put him to work. Welcome, Joe!

Projects Updates

Adopt-a-Park—We are no longer formally agreeing with the City to continue to clean the park.

Subway Appeal—Subway continues to want a drive-thru at the old Pop-n-Taco location at Edith and Central. The EDo and HH neighborhoods have resisted, citing traffic issues. Zoning turned it down. The next hearing before the Board of Appeals is this month.

Non-irrigated bulbouts—While no trees were planted in these bulbouts for lack of underground irrigation, a dozen or more xeric plants were placed there. Bonnie asked for suggestions about neighborhood volunteering to haul water to these locations at least once a month until the plants get established. No decision was made. Discussions will continue apart from the board setting.

Tree project—A third of the neighborhood is mapped. We will be getting volunteers together next month to continue the mapping.

Wish list—Wish list items were trees, sidewalks, lighting, and ABQ “Complete Streets.”

Miscellaneous

 Joni advocated for a project whereby the neighborhood would look for seed grants for façade renovation. She cited an example in the South Broadway neighborhood where this outreach has been successful.

Bonnie will get David Day’s timeline for mapping trees, and will look into some kind of water tank to keep the medians alive.

Joe will get busy on a 501c3 for the association.

Steve will reach out to our state representative Rick Meira to attend a future meeting.

 

Meeting adjourned at 7:35. Next meeting to be held on October 2, 2013. 

Salley Trefethen